[scribus] Is Linux/Scribus viable? (was New Linux User...)

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Mon Aug 11 20:07:49 CEST 2008

On Sunday 10 August 2008 09:53:44 pm Peter Nermander wrote:
> That is part of the "freedom", there is no legal or practical reason that
> you can not tailor Open Source software to you needs, the limit is just
> finacial. And a lot of companies do that, they pay developers to work on
> Open Source software to get the software to fit into their distribution.
> Then they sell their distribution bundled with support.

One example is CUPS*.  Much of the work that happens to CUPS is paid for by
Apple because it is an integral part of OS/X.  Even though much of OS/X is
closed some parts of it are open and Apples $ spent on those parts benifits
everyone.

In addition there are many non-tech companies that use open source software
that will either have thier own on staff developers who contribute back to the
OSS project or they will sponsor and pay for work on the OSS project in order
to get functionality that they need.   Again everyone benfits since in both
cases we end up with developers being paid to work on OSS and the OSS project
ends up moving along faster than it would have otherwise and the business ends
up with a lower cost solution.

Hal

* For the Windows users on the list CUPS = Common Unix Printing System which
is very widely used by Linux distros and Unix OSes including commerical ones
like HPUX and Solaris.