[scribus] Is Linux/Scribus viable? (was New Linux User...)

joseph harris smilepoet at vfemail.net
Mon Aug 11 02:50:00 CEST 2008

From: <jwminer at accessvt.com>
> Joseph Harris wrote:
>> From: "John Brown"
>> . So-called free-to-air television is paid for by advertisers.
>>
>> Except for the BBC; three cheers for the UK  ;-).
>
> Three cheers for "free television"? Don't people in the UK have
> pay a fee for every TV in their home? The BBC has to pay the
> bills
> like everyone else.
>
> In the US, PBS does not have advertisers. However, it is not
> really
> "free." Nothing is. PBS is paid for by federal taxpayers,
> corporate
> donors, viewer memberships and contributions, and in some
> states,
> subsidies paid from state tax revenues.
> --Judy Miner
>  USA
>
> Registered Linux User #397786

;-) It's not advertisers and it's not the government; and payment
is for the premises or household. It covers 2 land and a host of
digital tv channels, the most trusted news service in the world
[even if biases get in from time to time] because it is
independent, a highly respected and trusted world service radio,
four national and a host of local radio stations and production
of some outstanding costume drama and other series. and yet more.
I believe its original output is far greater than any other
service. For about £135 ($270) a year per household it seems to
me excellent value; and it is lovely to watch a programme or film
without interruptions.

Isn't this an open source kind of thing? Power to the people? Of
course it is a not for profit trust as well.

American PBS is excellent, but its host of different fund raising
methods lay it wide open to influence by sectional interests. I
doubt if it is able to fund much original material either.

The BBC is quite unique, and in the usual crazy Brit ways of
decision making has a freedom from political and commercial
pressures that raises all competitor standards as well. It is
adventurous and put Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy on radio
when there was no way of guaging its appeal, made a televisions
version and (I think jointly) made a big screen film. It was also
early and strong on conservation matters.

Its great strength is that it does not have to attract
advertisers or other contributors, and it has a lot of places to
innovate.

Joseph Harris