[scribus] Is Linux/Scribus viable? (was New Linux User...)

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Sun Aug 10 22:20:05 CEST 2008

> 1) The developers work for greedy capitalist pigs who get the money to pay
>     their salaries by selling "commercial licences for proprietary software", or
> 2) They *are* greedy capitalist pigs with a lot of responsibilities, one of the
>     major ones being to pay the salaries of their staff.

You did not realize that, while it is important that software developers
do not starve, there is no need to sell one piece of software one
thousand times. This is hard to get in a world where everything is
organized like that, but be aware that the salary of the developer does
not change much if the product is sold one hundred times or ten
thousands. That money is going to some overhead, and part of the success
of free software is that instead of printing and selling licenses, and
paying lawyers to bring school boys to court, software business started
developing software.

I agree that, other then some big-industry markets, dtp is not one of
the fields where big companies with big developer ressources, who
develop for their own need, could easily flood the world with open
source all day long. That is a problem of the "industry"'s structure,
but there are worse ones, and I do not see that scribus is developing so
slow. I am rather amazed by the progress that happened during the last
few years, especially if compared to propietary products (I am not aware
of a big successfull propietary dtp suite that had been developed from
zero in the last years?)...

By the way, I wonder what we are talking about. These generalized
"things are developing too slow", "there are all these bugs", or "but I
learned using ABC on platform XYZ fifteen years ago, why does scribus
not look the same" should lead to. If there are ideas about how scribus
could get improved, that may be interesting to read. But complaints
about this and that.......

CU Lars.

CU Lars.
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...