[scribus] Is Linux/Scribus viable? (was New Linux User...)

Jan Schrewe jschrewe at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 10 20:31:37 CEST 2008

John Brown schrieb am Sonntag, 10. August 2008:
> Gregory Pittman wrote:
> > Scribus's role in this is to just keep pushing forward, so that it can

> Nothing in life is free. So-called free-to-air television is paid for by
> advertisers. The money to pay for "free" software has to come from
> somewhere. Why is it evil if it comes from the people who use the software?

It isn't - at least the way I see it. The evil part is the proprietary part of
the software. The part that is not open, where you have to deal with anoying
bugs and annoying designs and have no way to just fix something or you need
to adhere to absurd licenses.

After using linux for 12 years now I find it always absurd, when I can't check
out code from svn to get something I want or need, if I can't take a quick
peek in the sources to see how something works or why something isn't
working.

What this boils down to for me is: If someone makes money with open software
that's cool. But I want the software to be open. There are a lot of companys
now that have a business model around open source software. I think that's
great, but using software like windows is just pointless for me because their
release cycles are just ridiculous, you can actually feel the twelve layers
of management and usability is just not there. That is the evil part, not the
making a lot of money from selling software part.

Jan