[scribus] New Linux User -- Scribus in place of PageMaker 6?

joseph harris smilepoet at vfemail.net
Sun Aug 10 11:01:08 CEST 2008

From: "Frank Swygert"
>I tried PagePlus... 8 or so, can't remember. It wouldn't run
>well on my particular hardware at the time for some reason and
>the support team wasn't much help, just noted that apparently
>there was a problem with my hardware combination.
> Anyway, I'm not looking for an alternative to PM6 --

Sorry.   Misunderstood the emphases. Though programs, OSs and
software have moved a long way since PagePlus8 [5 years ago?].

> It seems to me that Serif is missing a great opportunity by not
> porting to Linux, but then much of the Linux community is pro
> open source and Serif needs to keep their software proprietary.

I am sure the company will move with the needs to keep income
flowing - it already negotiates on price ;-). I think so far it
has concentrated on technically highly competitive software and
ease of use at lower store prices to the overwhelming majority
[MS] OS.

> I'd really like to see a "Linux Store" in a mall. Maybe just
> have a bank of computers where people can preview different
> programs and burn a CD with it for a small fee. Maybe just a
> big kiosk instead of a full store. I just don't know how the
> GNU licensing would be affected for a lot of products. Wish I
> had about $50K to play with, I'd try it!

It is paying the bills that limits most such ideas. Open source
rests mainly on volunteers and technical solutions preceding user
friendliness; commercially the emphasis is on user friendliness.
However with the forecast economic road ahead some interesting
blends may well develop,

Joseph Harris