[scribus] New Linux User -- Scribus in place of PageMaker 6?

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Sun Aug 10 01:56:57 CEST 2008

I tried PagePlus... 8 or so, can't remember. It wouldn't run well on my particular hardware at the time for some reason and the support team wasn't much help, just noted that apparently there was a problem with my hardware combination.

Anyway, I'm not looking for an alternative to PM6 -- I'm quite happy with it! I wouldn't "upgrade" it to any other version, the later versions change the whole aspect of the software IMHO (I bought and sent back PM7, and looked at a demo of InDesign -- obviously PM7 was a gateway between the two, trying to "push" PM users in that direction). What I'm looking for is an alternative to Windows that I can work with. PM6 might run under WINE just fine, but I'd prefer a native Linux version of my main application. Otherwise I'll just stick to PM6.

It seems to me that Serif is missing a great opportunity by not porting to Linux, but then much of the Linux community is pro open source and Serif needs to keep their software proprietary. With so many Linux supporters anti-proprietary there really isn't a big market. It's something that the Linux community will have to come to grips with in the future. To realistically compete with Windows on a user base level they have to have boxed software IMHO. I know that so much can be downloaded now that "hard" packaging seems to be obsolete, but that's not the reality of the situation. Joe and Jill Common still want to go to the store and see and touch something before they buy, and feel assured they can take it back if it's not what they expected/wanted. Seems to me that too many Liunx people are way out of touch with the bigger non-tech world out there(meaning bigger than those of use with a technical background). Admittedly the techs will eventually out number the non-techs, but that's going to take a lot of time.

I'd really like to see a "Linux Store" in a mall. Maybe just have a bank of computers where people can preview different programs and burn a CD with it for a small fee. Maybe just a big kiosk instead of a full store. I just don't know how the GNU licensing would be affected for a lot of products. Wish I had about $50K to play with, I'd try it!

------------
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2008 07:44:25 +0100
From: "joseph harris" <smilepoet at vfemail.net>

> > The bottom line is I know Scribus isn't the only DTP program
> > out there for Linux. I'm considering PageStream also. It sounds
> > like PgS is what I probably need, but I'll give Scribus a test
> > drive along with the PgS demo (which has some feature
> > limitations... couldn't find out what -- might not save or
> > print, or be limited to one or a few pages). Since I'm not
> > doing anything complicated, Scribus might have the features I
> > need. When I print in color it's not through separations, but
> > straight to a color laser. Someone more into professional DTP
> > than I probably wouldn't be satisfied with it, and I may not
> > be, but will give it a try anyway. I'm not in a hurry to
> > switch, I could go on using PM6 for another 10 years as long as
> > it functions on the hardware I have!
>
>From your description another good alternative might be PagePlus
from Serif.  It is up to X3, but you can usually find 8 free on
computer magazine DVDs in the UK at least.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"