[scribus] Radius within Image effects

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Sat Aug 9 17:17:52 CEST 2008

Vanessa Callebaut wrote:
> When you apply the effects "Blur" and "Sharpen" to an image, you can select
> a certain "Radius", could somebody please give me some more information on
> what this setting actually does? I can see the difference when changing this
> setting but can not explain it.

Here is an article that explains something about what a program is doing
when it creates blur:
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/GDI-plus/GausianBlur.aspx

What is happening to the image is that sharp transitions from one color
to another are reduced. You can do this directionally, but typically
programs will adjust individual pixels radially around a pixel (data
points, really). You adjust this radial distance to create more or less
blur. There are simple and more complex ways of calculating these changes.

In the end, the user is simply looking for a desired effect and not
exactly worrying about the underlying mathematics.

Greg