[scribus] New Linux User -- Scribus in place of Page Maker 6?

Murray Strome wmstrome at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 9 12:26:06 CEST 2008

--- On Sat, 8/9/08, Tornóci László <torlasz at net.sote.hu> wrote:
From: Tornóci László <torlasz at net.sote.hu>
Subject: Re: [scribus] New Linux User -- Scribus in place of Page Maker 6?
Date: Saturday, August 9, 2008, 12:32 AM

Frank Swygert wrote:
> Thanks Laszlo!! I took a look. Most of the magazines are MUCH more
> detailed than my comparatively humble little tome! I shouldn't have a
> problem. There are some things I have to work around in PM6 as well, so
> learning a few quirks isn't a problem. PM6 will page number every
page,
> or start from a certain page, but when I put the page number markers on
> the master pages (the most convenient way) it numbers everything -- so
> when creating something like my mag the front and back covers get
> numbered too. I could get around this by making three separate files
> then merging into one PDF, leaving the page numbers off the covers, but
> it's easier to just put a paper color filled box with no lines over
the
> page numbers on the front and back covers. I imagine there will be some
> similar items in Scribus or any other DTP program.

In scribus, you will want to create two master pages (see the wiki:
http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Working_with_Master_Pages), one with
page numbers, and the other one without. Then you simply associate the
master page that comes without page numbers with your cover pages, and
the other one with the rest of the pages.

					Yours: Laszlo

The problem with this is that, at least in 1.3.3.12 the page numbering
still starts with page 1 so that if you are making a cover, it will be
page 1 and what I would like to become page 1 will be numbered as page
3. There is a way to change the numbering in 1.3.4.x, according to what
I have seen and there is a way with 1.2.x by editing the .sla file with
a text editor but that does not work with 1.3.3.12

Murray