[scribus] New Linux User -- Scribus in place of Page Maker 6?

Murray Strome wmstrome at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 8 18:28:14 CEST 2008

From: John Beardmore <John at T4sLtd.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [scribus] New Linux User -- Scribus in place of Page Maker 6?
Date: Friday, August 8, 2008, 8:57 AM

JLuc wrote:

> Frank Swygert a écrit :
>> How stable and functional is Scribus? Anyone here moved from PM to
>> Scribus?
>
>  From my perspective, Scribus is not usable :

-----
I don't think I've done a doc longer than 58 pages in scribus, but
it's
been fine for me under XP.

I can only speak for myself, but it's much more stable for me than
Pagemaker 6.52 and
 InDesign 1.5 were doing similar work, and I don't
think it's much slower.

I find it very usable, pretty robust, and acceptable fast, more stable
than Pagemake in particular, and significantly more ergonomic than
InDesign, though granted there is room for improvement, at least in
1.3.3.x !

Looking forward to 1.3.5...

It may well be a matter of perspective, but I'm very happy !

Cheers, J/.

I am completely new to Desktop Publishing, so I know little about
PageMaker and nothing at all about other alternatives. I am just
learning Scribus, and without any experience at all with alternative
packages, it IS a steep learning curve. Nevertheless, I so far, I have
not found it to be particularly unstable, and the bugs have not been
enough of a problem to stop me from working with it. Of course, I am so
new to it that I often don't know whether a problem is because of a bug
or my lack of
 knowledge/experience.

I am using 1.3.3.12 on Kubuntu 8.04, "Hardy Heron".

Murray