[scribus] New Linux User -- Scribus in place of Page Maker 6?

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Fri Aug 8 18:18:04 CEST 2008

Lars O. Grobe wrote:

>> Looking forward to 1.3.5...
>
> As everyone is talking about 1.3.5 - can I expect mayor improvements in
> memory management? I am rather happy with scribus, but I experience
> awful slowdowns on documents with many drawings, and I remember those
> times when I was doing layout on Quark 4, OS 9 and 256 MB ... now even
> my 1GB seam to be not enough, so some things are not very efficient here

I take your point. Better memory management will always be better, but...

     With the cost of two gig of RAM less than a tank of petrol,
     isn't the cheapest / least effort option to throw RAM at the
     problem for the time being ?

That's not to say that better memory management won't be worth while in
the end. No doubt it will address the analogous problem with big
machines working on HUGE documents.

Cheers, J/.
Carbon Trust Consultant: Energy Audit, Carbon Footprint, Design Advice
Energy Efficiency Accreditation Scheme, (EEAS), Registered Assessor