[scribus] Scribus in place of Pagemaker?

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Fri Aug 8 15:12:07 CEST 2008

Frank Swygert wrote:
> Greg, MEPIS switched to a Debian base with the last release or two.
> They were Ubuntu based before. Mint is also Debian based as you
> stated, so looks like I'm in good standing with one of those! Right
> now I'm leaning toward Mint, but then I just got the MEPIS DVD (which
> I stupidly ordered before looking at Mint!). Might just use it for a
> while.
Sure. Let us know how it goes. One side consideration is that many
Scribus users sooner or later want to take advantage of fixed/updated
svn versions, which involves compiling. This is where some obstacles may
come up with some smaller Linux distros, mostly related to just locating
all the necessary components. The distros don't make the software you
need for compiling, of course, they just may facilitate your access to it.
> John, I've run the MEPIS and Mint live CDs. I might try another, but I
> doubt it. Those two are pretty robust and highly recommended for
> noobs, though I have looked at FreeSpire and considered it at one
> time. I'm not going to get caught up in trying a lot of different
> distros right now -- takes too much time even with live CDs! I want
> something that's pretty well a total package and will run for years
> with minor updates along... a Linux version of Windows pretty much,
> but without the baggage and being hemmed in by the creator. I may
> never take advantage of it, but Linux does leave you with a lot of
> options, not just what the distro creator or program writer decides is
> best for you.
> The only thing I DON'T like about Linux is all the distros! I know,
> most of you think that's a strength...
Personally I don't see it as a problem, but it is a waste of energy to
sit around arguing about which is the *best*. If you like what you're
using, that's all that matters.
Many of us don't see the restricted choice of XP vs Vista as an "advantage."

Greg