[scribus] Scribus in place of Pagemaker?

Fritz Eichelhardt f.eichelhardt at web.de
Thu Aug 7 16:09:50 CEST 2008

> From: Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com>
> Subject: Re: [scribus] Scribus in place of Pagemaker?

> Frank Swygert wrote:
> > Thanks a lot Greg! Will try 1.3.3.12 as soon as I have a version of
> > Linux up and running on a machine. Looking at MEPIS and Mint right
> > now. Mint seems to be a bit more "prefessional looking". MEPIS
> > defaults to KDE, Mint to Gnome. That's probably the difference I'm
> > seeing, though there should be some design work unique to the distros
> > as well.
> > I'm assuming Scribus will work with either, or is there a preference?
> > PageStream will work with either, but is more closely integrated with
> > Gnome. I was told that there were mainly some GTK libraries that were
> > required, and that PageStream would run fine under KDE if the
> > libraries required for the GIMP were loaded. MEPIS comes with the
> > GIMP, so should be ready for PageStream. Is Scribus the same -- works
> > with either but a bit better with one or the other?
>
> Unfortunately, I don't know so much about either. We have a number of
> people using Debian and the *buntus, and Mint seems another Debian-based
> distro (their site says that they use Ubuntu's repositories).
> A lot of people are using OpenSUSE, I and some others Fedora 9, there is

opensuse 10.3 working here.
i don't share jeffreys complaints.
scribus is powerful, but never frustrating (my stupidness sometimes is).
in the last year i had 2 or 3 crashes  - never loss of data - that's stable
enough for me.
it's not hard to use - it's very easy to approach (i don't know his mom).

my only complaint:
sometimes i wish scribus to be a liitle less sluggish.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Fritz Eichelhardt
Brückenstr. 1