[scribus] Add values to PDF combo box

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Thu Aug 7 15:14:49 CEST 2008

David Sarnowski wrote:
> I am working with Scribus 1.3.3.12 on a windows vista environment.  Can
> anyone tell me how to add values to a PDF field combo list?  I am trying to
> create a form, but am not sure how to do that.

Remember that PDF form elements are a special kind of text frame. So you
set the properties of your Combo box with Context menu > Field Properties,
Then go back to the main screen and use Story Editor or Edit Contents
mode to create the list of items as choices for your Combo box.

I'm working on the documentation for this for our upcoming manual.

Combo boxes and List boxes are similar, since each can have a list of
choices. Regardless of its height, a Combo box will only show one choice
at a time in the PDF Form, unless you click the button for a drop-down
list. A List box will show as many as can be seen for the height of the
box on the form. List boxes have a scrolling widget on the right.

I find that although with both kinds of boxes there is a choice in Field
Properties to make them editable, with List boxes, the choice doesn't
stick, so in effect you cannot edit items in the list in your PDF viewer
with List boxes.

You won't see the PDF form elements in action until you create the PDF
and open in a PDF viewer.

Greg