[scribus] Scribus in place of Pagemaker?

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Wed Aug 6 22:55:12 CEST 2008

Frank Swygert wrote:
> So what version of Scribus are you running? Of course I'd be best off
> to start with the latest. I read about the format change... sort of
> stupid that the new version doesn't come with a format converter or
> some way of reading the last version files (I can understand a couple
> versions old though), but I guess it's sometimes necessary. I believe
> the team went to a totally different, more standard format?
To be specific, use 1.3.3.12 for now. Newer versions *always* can load
files from older versions. While there are some interesting new features
in 1.3.5, it still has a number of drawbacks on a practical level, and
once you save a file, you can't load it into 1.3.3.12 (there are
workarounds).

Do NOT use 1.3.4 -- this was a brief post-1.3.3.x and pre-qt4 version
that has had no bug fixes since it was released in May, 2007.
 Unfortunately, some distros put it in their repositories, and we can't
get them to take it out.

Greg