[scribus] New Linux User -- Scribus in place of Page Maker 6?

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Tue Aug 5 20:19:24 CEST 2008

Jeffrey Silverman wrote:
> Okay, now, Scribus. Personally, I think it is an amazing tool.
> However, it is as equally amazingly *frustrating* as it is in
> amazingly featureful and powerful.
Without addressing all of Jeffrey's complaints one by one, I think it
can be said that his experience is either not typical or exaggerated.

There is a learning curve with Scribus. Because of the way it works, and
needs to work, most will be unfamiliar with the immense differences from
a word processor, which has a totally different purpose. Thus, it is
unwise to decide to do some major project as your first one with
Scribus. Make use of the various resources at your disposal. Pick the
latest *stable* version and stick with it, until you have some
reasonable mastery of how it works.

Depending on how you use it, Scribus can be very memory intensive. The
size of image files can be a major drain on resources, and be mindful of
what other programs are simultaneously running, and their memory
requirements.

I'm not going to advocate any particular Linux distro, but will say that
there are some problems with the various *buntu distros that are not the
fault of Scribus. Nonetheless, many use them and with success.

Greg