[scribus] Latest v. of Scribus for Ubuntu 8.04

Oleksandr Moskalenko malex at scribus.info
Mon Aug 4 23:33:27 CEST 2008

* Henry W. Peters <hwpeters at jamadots.com> [2008-08-04 16:57:34 -0400]:

> Hi,
>
> I have had Scribus for at least, a half a year on Windows XP, could not
> get it to print... even with the latest stable version. Migrated to
> Ubuntu 8.04/Linux dual boot.
>
> I downloaded Scribus thru "Add/Remove" this morning (dial-up, long
> call!) but it was not the latest stable version (it was
> 1.3.3.1.1dfsg-lubur). Went to Scribus home page-->latest version...
> tried to follow instructions to download said via "Synaptic Package
> Manager," when I clicked the "Repositories" in the "Settings" menu, I
> get the "Software Sources" menu which stops me cold, as there are non of
> the add options that resemble the instructions.
>
> It may be something simple, as I am very new to Ubuntu/Linux. Please
> advise.
>
> Thanks much,
> Henry

Henry,

It does seem that Ubuntu people changed Synaptic's interface recently. I've
tested this on my Ubuntu/hardy installation and saw the difference. So, when
you get the Software Source dialog just click on the Third-Party Software tab
and then click on the "+ Add" button". A dialog asking you to "Enter the
complete APT line of the repository that you want to add as as source" will
appear. You should paste the hardy apt line from www.scribus.net/?q=debian
i.e.

deb http://debian.scribus.net/debian/ hardy main non-free

or

deb http://debian.tagancha.org/debian/ hardy main non-free

and click on the "+ Add Source button".

Then, you can click on "X Close" to close the "Software Sources" dialog and a
pop-up will open telling you that "Repositories changed.... you have to click
on the Reload button...". Close that message box and do click on the "Reload"
button in the toolbar. You can now "Search" for scribus and mark it for
upgrade, then apply.

Cheers,

Alex.

Your friendly Debian/Ubuntu scribus packager