[scribus] biz card w photo background

Owen rcook at pcug.org.au
Fri Aug 1 02:13:04 CEST 2008

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 14:44:27 -0700 (PDT)
mike <wmichaeltrout at yahoo.com> wrote:

> guys, here is the card i'm trying to do for my friend in panama (my
> first scribus effort!) ... what i want to do is get the measurements
> right to print this on 4 x 6 (inch) photo stock (4 up, so cards would
> be 2" X 3" each)
>
> that's what i hope to do, because 4 x 6 will cost me .19 cents each,
> as opposed to $1.49 each for 5 x 7 ... ya, i know 5 x 7 is a better
> size, but way more money!
>
> how do i get there from here (step by tedious step)?
>
> i receive my scribus in once daily digest, so if anyone can help me
> please write to my address AND the list, if you don't mind, so that
> i'll receive in real time...
>
> i've posted the card in the imagebin at:
>
> http://imagebin.org/23408

If you want to print at a photo kiosk, then the output needs to be jpg
(or png or tiff perhaps)

Scribus can export as png, but its really designed to output pdf

Even if you export from Scribus to png, you are then faced with the
problem of placing two png images into one image for printing.

There are problems here. let's assume you use Gimp for your image
manipulation.
 Firstly, the 19 cent photo kiosk cuts off a bit of the image
 Secondly, the kiosk printer does not print precisely centered

this latter point is a PITA. I suggest you make a test image in Gimp of
size 6.1x4.1 inches at 300dpi. An example test image I have used at
some kiosks is at;

http://members.pcug.org.au/~rcook/images/testprint.xcf  572713 bytes
http://members.pcug.org.au/~rcook/images/testprint.jpg   75719 bytes
http://members.pcug.org.au/~rcook/images/testprint.png   92741 bytes

As for photo sources, search Google, but
http://www.everystockphoto.com/ seems it might have something for you.
Why not use a digital camera and make your own?

After all that rambling, I don't think Scribus is the right tool for
your task, try Gimp or Inkscape.

--

Owen