[Scribus] Please unsubscribe

Andrew A. Gill superluser
Wed Apr 23 07:22:23 CEST 2008

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008, charles brooks wrote:

> Please unsubscribe me from mailing list.

When you send "unsubscribe" requests to an email list, it lands
in the mailboxes of hundreds of people who can't unsubscribe you.

I can't unsubscribe you. Try the stuff below. Clip 'n' save these
instructions for future reference.

=============8<=============Cut-Here=============8<=============

How To Unsubscribe From Any Email List

1. Look at the messages you've been getting on the list. Do they
have "how to unsubscribe" messages near the end, or an email
address to use in a "List-Unsubscribe:" header at the top? If so,
follow those instructions.

2.  Most lists these days, including all lists hosted by the big
two (Yahoo! Groups and Topica), have an "-unsubscribe" alias for
this purpose. For example, if you're on the WHATEVER list, either
WHATEVER-unsubscribe at yahoogroups.com or
use.

(For the rest of this memo, let's assume that the WHATEVER list
is at example.com -- that is, the alias is WHATEVER at example.com.
If the list has a name like "WHATEVER-L", you might try steps 6
and 7 first.)

3. Otherwise, first send a request to the "-request" alias. For
our example, that would be WHATEVER-request at example.com. This is
often read by a human being, so write accordingly. In theory, all
email lists are supposed to implement this address (though Yahoo!
Groups does not).

4. If you get no response from the above, send mail to the
"majordomo" alias. That's majordomo at example.com for our example.
If the list is administered by the majordomo software, you'll get
instructions for unsubscribing mailed back to you.

5. If you get no response, send mail to the "owner-" alias. For
our example, owner-WHATEVER at example.com. This should go to the
human who administers the list.

6. If you get no response, send mail to "LISTSERV". For our
example, that address would be LISTSERV at example.com. The text of
your message should be "SIGNOFF WHATEVER".

7. If you get no response, send mail to the "listproc" alias. For
our example, that address would be listproc at example.com. The text
of your message should be "unsubscribe WHATEVER".

8. If you get no response, send mail to the site "postmaster".
For our example, that address is postmaster at example.com. Mention
that you tried the previous five steps, to no avail.

9. If you get no response, send mail to "root". Our example
address is root at example.com. Mention that you tried the previous
six steps, to no avail.

10. If -- and only if -- all the above fail, send a message to
the list itself. Make it courteous, particularly since the vast
majority of the people reading it can't do a thing about it. The
message should say something like, "How do I get off this list?",
not "UNSUBSCRIBE." Try to avoid setting off a bunch of "me too"
messages by saying something like, "Please don't chime in with a
bunch of 'I want to unsubscribe too' messages."