[Scribus] GSoC 2008 bits: Accepted Applications

Oleksandr Moskalenko malex
Tue Apr 22 00:57:31 CEST 2008

This is an update on the status of Scribus Team's participation in this year's
Google Summer of Code.

We have finally been given three application "slots" by Google [1], which means
that GSoC will pay three students to work on Scribus related projects during
this summer. The highest rated applications that have been funded [2] include:

ScripterNG - a new scripting plug-in for Scribus by Henning Schr?der
<henning.schroeder at gmail.com>

UniConvertor and GraphicsMagick integration by Hermann Kraus
<hermann at physiklaborant.de>

Scribus Picture Browser by Markus Thomas Durst <schlaumeier22 at gmx.de>

See [1] for detailed project descriptions.

I'd like to extend our sincere thanks to all students who submitted their
applications, whether they got funded or not. You guys are awesome and we
truly appreciate your efforts. Hopefully, both you and our team have learned
something in the process. It is unfortunate that not all applicants were
funded by Google, but as you can see [3] there were almost 7,100
applications for 1,125 available funding slots. For those students who didn't
get a gsoc slot - if you'd like to stick around and work on what you proposed
we'd be happy to help with infrastructure and mentoring. After all, this is
the main idea of the summer of code - to get new participants into the Open
Source eco-system and help you have fun and learn things that will be useful
to you later on. Also, if you do stay around and participate in the Scribus
community and development your chances of being funded in the potential next
gsoc round would only improve.

Best wishes to everyone involved. Have a fun and productive Summer of Code!

Alex.

Scribus Team GSoC 2008 administrator

[1] http://code.google.com/soc/2008/scribus/about.html
[2] http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/GSoC_2008_Accepted_Applications