[Scribus] Flatten layers at export time.

John Culleton john
Fri Apr 18 17:17:49 CEST 2008

On Friday 18 April 2008 11:08:29 am D. R. Evans wrote:
> Gregory Pittman said the following at 04/18/2008 08:48 AM :
> > John Culleton wrote:
> >> Apparently Scribus does not (yet) have a flatten layers
> >> function. If I export in pdf 1.3 format does that flatten the
> >> output pdf?
> >
> > There are layers and there are layers.
> > Layers in the sense of collections of objects of all sorts on
> > different levels on that layer are all flattened in the PDF.
> >
> > Layers in graphic images is a different kind of layer, which
> > Scribus is beginning to be able to work with. These too will be
> > flattened in the PDF.
> >
> > Then there are layers in PDFs, as in PDF 1.5, which is just
> > beginning to be implemented in development versions, not in
> > 1.3.3.x.
>
> Somebody probably needs to write this up in a bit more detail.
>
> Your explanation confused me (for one).
>
> I do know, for example, that when I export to PDF 1.4 and then view
> the resulting file with acroread, I can see the reader putting the
> layers up on the screen one at a time (and these layers appear to
> be the same as the layers in Scribus); so at least in some sense
> the file isn't flattened. I believe that that is what the OP is
> talking about.
>
> Exporting to PDF 1.3 instead of PDF 1.4 causes the reader to put
> the information on the screen all at once (i.e., I can't see
> individual layers being displayed to build up the resultant image).
>
> So in some sense it seems to be true that PDF 1.3 is flattened, but
> PDF 1.4 is not. Which I think is what the OP was after. Maybe.
>
>   Doc

Exactly so. Some POD printers (e.g. LSI) want everything set to PDF
X/1:2001 which is more or less pdf 1.3.  They can't handle layers and
they can't handle transparency. But with Scribus it seems that we can
handle them :<)

--
John Culleton