[scribus] Multiple instances of Scribus

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Wed Apr 30 08:58:35 CEST 2008

John Brown wrote:
> Craig Ringer wrote:

> [various file locking methods snipped]
>
>> That's a lot of platform specific messing around, though, for a pretty
>> trivial feature. Personally I wouldn't bother.
>
> A simple way would be to create a lock file the sole purpose of which
> is to indicate that Scribus has already opened the file.

Sounds easy in a cross platform sort of way if it's enough to solve the
general case problem.

> I don't think
> that it is important to check if the file is open in another app, or  to
> prevent the user from opening a Scribus file in another app after he has
> opened it in Scribus.

Agreed.

> If a user is editing Scribus files outside of Scribus,
> then I think that it is reasonable to assume that he is doing it deliberately
> (out of curiosity, to try to fix a corrupt file, as someone on this list did
> recently...),

That was me...

  and knows what he is doing.

Ha -  no chance, but I had great support !

Cheers, J/.
Carbon Trust Consultant: Energy Audit, Carbon Footprint, Design Advice
Energy Efficiency Accreditation Scheme, (EEAS), Registered Assessor