[scribus] Multiple instances of Scribus

John Brown johnbrown105 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 30 07:29:33 CEST 2008

Craig Ringer wrote:
>As many programs read a file
> into RAM they can and often do just close the file handle.

I believe that that is actually the recommended practice.

[various file locking methods snipped]

> That's a lot of platform specific messing around, though, for a pretty
> trivial feature. Personally I wouldn't bother.

A simple way would be to create a lock file the sole purpose of which
is to indicate that Scribus has already opened the file. I don't think
that it is important to check if the file is open in another app, or  to
prevent the user from opening a Scribus file in another app after he has
opened it in Scribus. If a user is editing Scribus files outside of Scribus,
then I think that it is reasonable to assume that he is doing it deliberately
(out of curiosity, to try to fix a corrupt file, as someone on this list did
recently...), and knows what he is doing.
Make i'm yours.  Create a custom banner to support your cause.
http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/Contribute/Default.aspx?source=TXT_TAGHM_MSN_Make_IM_Yours