[scribus] Multiple instances of Scribus

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Mon Apr 28 22:53:53 CEST 2008

Gregory Pittman wrote:
> John Brown wrote:

>> It's not really a "Linux feature". On Windows, at any rate, you can run any
>> number of instances of an app at the same time. If the developer wants to
>> prevent multiple instances, he must take special measures.
>>
> Well, yes this is a Linux feature. Prior to Linux, the standard desktop
> computer behavior was to not allow one to start up a program already
> running.

Only if you focus on DOS and assume that Linux is the only strain of Unix.

> If Windows or Macs or whatever behave this way now, it's an
> adoption of this Linux behavior, not something they invented.

Indeed, but nor was it something Linux invented.

>> I don't think that it is too much to ask that you at least get a warning that
>> the file is already open. Vi gives such a warning.
>
> I note that emacs also does this, but it's not universal. Kedit doesn't
> complain at all. Which is "right"?

:)   In risk management or theological terms ?

> And why/how would someone have two versions of Scribus running with the
> same file?

Well, presumably I managed it by forgetting that I'd already started
Scribus for that file.  It's easily done, and while it perhaps shouldn't
be precluded, it certainly introduces an element of risk if it happens
by accident.

> Presumably they would know why they were doing that,

That's a big assumption.

Cheers,  J/.
Carbon Trust Consultant: Energy Audit, Carbon Footprint, Design Advice
Energy Efficiency Accreditation Scheme, (EEAS), Registered Assessor