[scribus] Multiple instances of Scribus

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Mon Apr 28 15:08:03 CEST 2008

John Beardmore wrote:
> I not that it's possible to open multiple instances of Scribus.
>
> This is brilliant -  certainly one up on the old copies of Pagemaker and
> InDesign that I used to use.
>
> One possible issue / feature / bug though, is that it's possible to open
> the same file more than once without changing its name.
>
> I don't know if this should be classed as a bug or not, but I'd have
> though it might merit a warning from the application as bad things might
> happen !

I think it remains to be seen whether this is a problem (and what kind
it is). If someone has bad experiences, I think it's up to them to make
their case as to how it should work.

This business of being able to run multiple instances of a program is an
age-old Linux feature, and in general a good thing - for one thing, I
can have 1.3.3.12svn and 1.3.5svn running at the same time, and will do
this trying to troubleshoot something or compare behavior.
Theoretically, there could be locks on files to prevent overwriting when
another instance has it open, but realistically, one could have Scribus
working on a file and a text editor also working on the same file. If
the user can't keep track of these kinds of things, he shouldn't be
doing it, and needs to learn that, rather than expecting the program to
take care of this.

Greg