[Scribus] Publishing question

eklektik joz_mak
Fri Sep 14 17:05:52 CEST 2007

----- Original Message ----
From: Celso Junior <celsojr2007 at yahoo.com.br>
To: scribus at nashi.altmuehlnet.de
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2007 10:10:04 AM
Subject: Re: [Scribus] Publishing question

hm

I think the dpi and ppi issue should be cleary discussed here ^_^

when we say Dots per Inch, we are meaning the size of each dot is to be
printed. The resolution  of the output Device. Pixels per Inch means the
same, but to related to  the size of the image in the monitor.
An image can have as many dpi as you want... the same 300x300px image
prints 1x1in in a 300DPI printer. When we set the print for 600DPI it
prints at 0.5x0.5in... 150DPI prints at 2x2in and so...
Thats the reason Gimp can play with de ppi of the image, withou
re-scaling. It is only a reference. In fact, pixels are all that matters
inside the computer.
If you have an 1024x768 image (common screen res) divide it by 300dpi
(the printed output, in the case), a 3.41x2.56in image and your have top
quality graphs.... but, you do not need to have 300dpi if you think your
image is going to appear too small. Do not Interpolate, transfroming the
image to 2048x1576px to achieve 6.82x5.12in (got it? pixels are the only
real value you must care), you must, in the case, use a 200dpi or 150dpi
output, it should not be that bad, cause you are dealing with
screenshots, not art pictures ^_^

6.82x5.12in is 17.32x13mm ... it is more than A5 width, for a book, you
could use 10x7,5mm ... 1024 / 10mm = 260Dpi output! O_O it is quite
good, dont you think ? .. I do ^_^

   <!--
#toc,
.toc,
.mw-warning {
	border: 1px solid #aaa;
	background-color: #f9f9f9;
	padding: 5px;
	font-size: 95%;
}
#toc h2,
.toc h2 {
	display: inline;
	border: none;
	padding: 0;
	font-size: 100%;
	font-weight: bold;
}
#toc #toctitle,
.toc #toctitle,
#toc .toctitle,
.toc .toctitle {
	text-align: center;
}
#toc ul,
.toc ul {
	list-style-type: none;
	list-style-image: none;
	margin-left: 0;
	padding-left: 0;
	text-align: left;
}
#toc ul ul,
.toc ul ul {
	margin: 0 0 0 2em;
}
#toc .toctoggle,
.toc .toctoggle {
	font-size: 94%;
}@media print, projection, embossed {
	body {
		padding-top:1in;
		padding-bottom:1in;
		padding-left:1in;
		padding-right:1in;
	}
}
body {
	font-family:'Times New Roman';
	color:#000000;
	widows:2;
	font-style:normal;
	text-indent:0in;
	font-variant:normal;
	font-size:12pt;
	text-decoration:none;
	font-weight:normal;
	text-align:left;
}
table {
}
td {
	border-collapse:collapse;
	text-align:left;
	vertical-align:top;
}
p, h1, h2, h3, li {
	color:#000000;
	font-family:'Times New Roman';
	font-size:12pt;
	text-align:left;
	vertical-align:normal;
}
     -->

   Thanks a lot for this useful info.

   "...you must, in the case, use a 200 dpi or 150dpi

   output, it should not be that bad,"

   Great, I noticed that even in top quality books, sometimes the screenshot illustrations less sharp than the other artworks.

This is probably because of the difficulty of producing real high quality screenshots we are discussing here.

   jmak