[Scribus] Publishing question

avox avox
Fri Sep 14 16:22:20 CEST 2007

eklektik-2 wrote:

>    Hi Pierre,
>

>    If I understand you well, what you are saying is that the imagagemagick
> command
>

>    import -display :0 -window root -density 300 screen.png
>
>    outputs a fake 300 dpi image.
>

>    This is where I found the info.
>

>    http://thesourceshow.org/node/40
>

>    But I do only step 2 because I dont have other pc. When I open the
> screen shots, made with this method, in the gimp it shows resolution 300
> dpi.
>
>    What do you think, are these fake high res images?

Let's say your X11 root window shows 1000x600 pixels on a 100dpi display.
That means your physical display is supposed to have physical dimensions of
10''x6''.
When you import that screen with a density of 300dpi, it will still have
1000x600 pixels, but it will be labeled with 300dpi. That means it has now a
physical size of 3.3''x2''. So if you print it without rescaling on a 300dpi
printer, it will cover a rectangle of 3.3 inch x 2 inch.

Now, if you decide to print it rescaled to its original size, 10''x6'', the
dpi will only be 100dpi again and will look pretty bad in print.

What Pierre recommended was to create a virtual X11 screen with 3000x1800
pixels. Import that at 300dpi, it will have physical dimensions of 10''x6''
and will look good in print. Unfortunately large X11 screens  usually mess
up font sizes and the icons will be very small.

For your book it might be best to follow your way and print it at size
3.3''x2'' (ie. at 300dpi).

Btw, I would like to stress Craig's advice to *not* use the JPG format for
screenshots. PNG or Tiff is the way to go if you want to have clear images.
Also, color fidelity is usually not that important with screenshots unless
the screenshots show photos.

HTH
/Andreas

Btw, please dont post HTML messages to this list. The formatting gets messes
up during quoting, in digests and in the viewers of many users.