[Scribus] Publishing question

eklektik joz_mak
Fri Sep 14 03:30:46 CEST 2007

----- Original Message ----
From: Christoph Sch?fer <christoph-schaefer at gmx.de>
To: scribus at nashi.altmuehlnet.de
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2007 8:06:32 PM
Subject: Re: [Scribus] Publishing question

Am Freitag, 14. September 2007 01:38 schrieb eklektik:

>    Hello,
>

>    I have some questions regarding publishing. I am in the process of
> creating a book about graphic techniques in scribus.
>
> I've already made lots of screenshots that I intend to use in the book as
> illustrations.
>
> The screenshots are made in imagemagick in high resolution output 300 dpi.
>
> But I have to reformat them, which I do in the gimp.
>
> Can anyone with experience advise me how the gimp images are going to turn
> out in the print since the gimp has only 8bit color depth.
>
> How is Scribus pdf output is effected by these image qualities.
>

>    I am going to publish the book with lulu and their faq says that the
> images can be saved in high resolution jpeg formats in order to keep the
> file size down.
>
> Does anyone has experience publishing in this image format?
>

>    Thanks,
>
>    jmak

Hi jmak

8 bit colour depth won't affect your printing result at all, since hardly any
print workflow I know of uses 16 bit. Even InDesign converts 16 bit images to
8 bit during PDF export. With respect to colour depth, you shouldn't
encounter any issues at all. There are other issues like colour space
conversion (RGB -> CMYK), though. Please make sure colour management and
Gamut warning are enabled in Scribus to check for possible issues.

As for JPEG, yes, you can use the format, but a high resolution JPEG probably
won't be of any advantage, compared to a compressed TIFF, both with respect
to size and quality.

HTH

Christoph

   <!--
#toc,
.toc,
.mw-warning {
	border: 1px solid #aaa;
	background-color: #f9f9f9;
	padding: 5px;
	font-size: 95%;
}
#toc h2,
.toc h2 {
	display: inline;
	border: none;
	padding: 0;
	font-size: 100%;
	font-weight: bold;
}
#toc #toctitle,
.toc #toctitle,
#toc .toctitle,
.toc .toctitle {
	text-align: center;
}
#toc ul,
.toc ul {
	list-style-type: none;
	list-style-image: none;
	margin-left: 0;
	padding-left: 0;
	text-align: left;
}
#toc ul ul,
.toc ul ul {
	margin: 0 0 0 2em;
}
#toc .toctoggle,
.toc .toctoggle {
	font-size: 94%;
}@media print, projection, embossed {
	body {
		padding-top:1in;
		padding-bottom:1in;
		padding-left:1in;
		padding-right:1in;
	}
}
body {
	font-family:'Times New Roman';
	color:#000000;
	widows:2;
	font-style:normal;
	text-indent:0in;
	font-variant:normal;
	font-size:12pt;
	text-decoration:none;
	font-weight:normal;
	text-align:left;
}
table {
}
td {
	border-collapse:collapse;
	text-align:left;
	vertical-align:top;
}
p, h1, h2, h3, li {
	color:#000000;
	font-family:'Times New Roman';
	font-size:12pt;
	text-align:left;
	vertical-align:normal;
}
     -->

   Thanks for the replies. Now at least, I know I dont have to worry about the color depth of the images.

   One more thing; the lulu faq says that if you work with RGB images and converting the final document to PDF keep the RGB rather than converting to CMYK.

It is not clear why they say this, perhaps their converter tamplate works like that.

Anyhow, is there anything particular that I have to look out for when converting documents with RGB images to PDF?

   Owen, you say;

   "Screens range from around 75 dpi to 100 dpi. So the information content in your images is based on that dpi figure.

   Resizing to 300 dpi needs to be done with the final output in mind."

   After searching the imagemagick database, I found a command that makes it possible to output high resolution screen shots. This is the command,

   import -display :0 -window root -density 300 screen.png

   This outputs 300 dpi screenshots.

   jmak