[Scribus] Cmake miseries redux.

Craig Ringer craig
Fri Oct 26 16:32:10 CEST 2007

John Culleton wrote:
> On Friday 26 October 2007 10:00:04 am Gregory Pittman wrote:
>> John Culleton wrote:

>>> There were bits and pieces of qt4 on my system but I thought the safest
>>> course was to just download a qt4 package from a Slackware site. It is
>>> installed under /opt/qt4.
>>> I  linked that qmake (found in /opt/qt4/bin)  to /usr/bin replacing the
>>> former link to an earlier qmake.
>>>
>>> "cmake ." now works. I am attempting a compile  using "make." After this
>>> completes  can I just rename the current version of
>>> /usr/local/bin/scribus to e.g., scribus.3.3.10 and then do a make install
>>> on 1.3.5?
>> This is NOT going to work. You need to do as Craig says and indicate
>> when you run cmake another directory for your 1.3.5:
>>
>> cmake . -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/your/svnversiondir/
>>
>> If you change the name of scribus in /usr/local/bin you could easily end
>> up with neither version working.
>>
>> Greg
>
> OK but where will the executable reside after make install?  Or don't I do
> make install?  I already have the current version renamed and it still works.

After `make install' your Scribus excutable will be at
${CMAKE_NISTALL_PREFIX}/bin/scribus . For example, if you set
-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/usr/local/scribus135 , it'll be
/usr/local/scribus135/bin/scribus .

If you prefer to have everything dropped straight in /usr/local (note:
this makes a later uninstall difficult and annoying) you can instead set
-DWANT_VERSIONING=1 . The scribus executable, plugins, etc will then be
installed with a version suffix, and more importantly the Scribus
executable will look in the right place for plugins and resources.

If you just rename the Scribus executable, you'll land up with two
versions writing the same plugins to the same directory, sharing the
same resources, etc. This does *not* work. At best, one of them will
crash on start-up.

Please read:

--
Craig Ringer