[Scribus] Manual - first baby step

adam hyde adam
Tue Oct 23 22:31:37 CEST 2007

Hi,

I just subscribed to the list and have read the archived chat on a
manual with interest. I don't know if it is of interest but I am
involved with a online community of free documentaiton writers. The
project is called 'FLOSS Manuals' (http://www/flossmanuals.net).

We have a nice tool set for writing manuals online. Its an open wiki
(needs registration to make contributions) with some nice tools
including a wysiwyg editor and automatic export to pdf (and soon also
docbook etc).

We are also doing nice Print on Demand manuals from the content in the
wiki. This is actually why I sub'ed to the list as I want to use Scribus
for the layout of the print ready PDFs.

We work with a system of each manual having a voluntary maintainer. This
is someone that looks after the quality of the manual, making sure all
the edits are spell checked, look nice etc before publishing. So no
edits are 'live' to the manual but happen in the backend
(http://www.flossmanuals.net/write) and are published to the manual
maintained on the front end (http://www.flossmanuals.net). We have roll
backs and other tools to assist with the maintainence of the manuals.

We are currently developing workflow mechanisms for translation and are
looking to have a complete Farsi site up by the end of the year and then
onto other languages.

Other features include a nifty remix (http://www.flossmanuals.net/remix)
function that allows one to remix your own manual and output to
downloadable html (with your own css), pdf, or embed in your website
with our ajax api. All manuals are licensed under GPL to make the
manuals compatable with the applications they support (ie. applications
can embed the manuals in the interface if desired).

I was wondering if those interested in writing the manual might be
interested in collaborating in the writing via a floss manuals scribus
manual?

Kind regards,

adam