[Scribus] [+] Re: Is 1.3.4 stable enough

Julian Robbins julian.robbins
Wed Oct 17 18:50:58 CEST 2007

mamem at gmx.net wrote:
> Wow, what a long exchange...
> The question remains for me:
> If I begin a big work with a lot of text, is it better to start right
> now in the 1.3.4., to be shure that it will work in the future 1.3.5.?

Its always the answer, 'it depends'. I still only use 1.3.3.9 for my
production work. For only a few pages you will have no problems at all.
If you want to edit 50 pages you will. 1.3.4 is fairly stable, but
there  is really no easy ways to go back to 1.3.3.9 for those files.
Make sure you keep a copy in the 1.3.3.9 format separately to avoid such
problems.
No, files created in 1.3.4 will always be compatible with 1.3.5.
> Is there already some Windows-version avaiable of 1.3.5?

I don't think so yet.
> And: What will happen with the 1.3.3.9/10 branch: isn't this also dead
> end, once the 1.3.5. came out? Will 1.3.5. be stable somehow? How long
> there will be "two" scribus side by side?

What you have to remember is that all software projects, including
commercial ones, run just like this, but you rarely see the development
versions. 1.3.5 will never be 'stable' as such; it will change version
number to another (I'm not quite sure what it will be !).

The stable 1.3.3.9/10  series will continue to have major bugfixes
applied, but to save time, new features and bugs which require a lot of
time may be patched only in 1.3.5.

Its confusing because you get to see everything in the Open Source
world, 'warts and all', the good, the bad, and the ugly. But the good
thing is you DO get to see whatever you want, and have your own choice
to use it as you see fit.

Julian Robbins

Kind regards

Julian Robbins