[Scribus] Example of what I would like to do

avox avox
Sat Oct 6 13:23:00 CEST 2007

dbeach wrote:

> I help produce an annual catalog at my job. We use all of the usual
> stupendously expensive desktop publishing applications: Quark Xpress,
> InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc. etc.
>
> I would like to find out how much of this can be done with Open Source
> apps. I have a sample page from our current catalog at:
>
> http://www.klikmaker.com/pdf/211TestPage.pdf
>
> All photos in  this project are CMYK TIFFs with clipping paths, with
> the occasional EPS vector image.
>
> So far, I haven't been able to puzzle out how to make those blocks of
> copy in my sample, with tabs and rules under each line. I also do not
> know how to use The GIMP to generate CMYK TIFFs with clipping paths.

The table is the most difficult to achieve in Scribus, especially with the
up/down arrows inside.

Scribus currently has a very crude table support which might be enough
in your case. But in general it's very cumbersome to use since it's
basically
just a pile of normal textframes aligned in a grid.

Normal Scribus text supports tabulators (left, right, decimal, center;
including
fillchars) but no lines and no background color. Of course you could create
those
manually in Scribus, but that's awkward and doesnt allow easy editing later.

An alternative would be to import tables from OpenOffice.org via SVG
(http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Complex_tables_in_Scribus_1.2x).

Scribus can use clipping paths in Tiff or PSD files, but I don't know any
opensource
application which can produce such files. An alternative could be to use
transparency
for images.

I wouldnt worry about CMYK colors and color conversion for your type of
catalog.
Scribus will convert all colors to CMYK for print and I doubt that your
customers would
complain about colorshifts :-)

HTH
/Andreas