[Scribus] Congratulations and initial comments...

John Culleton john
Tue Oct 2 21:35:22 CEST 2007

On Wednesday 26 September 2007 05:18:38 pm Christoph Sch?fer wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 26. September 2007 20:43 schrieb m8130 at abc.se:
> > > It would seem that the mental jump of thinking of "Save" as "Save
> > > Scribus File"
> > > &
> > > "Collect For Output" as "SAVE SCRIBUS PROJECT" is all that is required
> > > to get what you want.
> >
> > One important thing that seems to be a bit forgotten in this discussion
> > is that Collect for output as far as I understand will also collect all
> > fonts used in the document.
>
> That's just an option
>
> > And copying the same fonts back and forth seems like
> > a bit of waste.
>
> Not at all. It makes sure that a font that's used in a document will be
> available on another machine.
>
> Cheers
>
> Christoph

For the pdf file the fonts should of course be embedded.
The presumption is that the sla file will be copied by others to other
machines. Is this frequent?

I agree that there are more serious issues. IMO Scribus text justification
needs to be reworked according to the pdftex model before it is ready for
serious book use.  Then there are TOC, indexing, table generation, running
headers that change when the chapter changes, footnotes  and so on.

Perhaps others do not share my need for adequate text handling. But if this is
not a goal someone should say so. Scribus is still superior for laying out
book covers, which is not a trivial task.
--
John Culleton
Want to know what I really think?