[Scribus] Book cover in Document layout

Louis Desjardins louis_desjardins
Mon Oct 1 20:21:05 CEST 2007

Hi list,

The recent post from Celso Junior on automated spine in "EasyPose", gave
me an idea.

Wouldn't it be a nice feature to have at creative level as well? I mean,
within Scribus. More often than not there is some graphic involved on
that part of the cover, such as the book title, author, collection,
publisher's logo and so on. This always has to be done by hand afaik.

It would be nice to have this done with input values like with text
frames that you can change at will. I would see it in the proposed
Document layout in the "New document" dialog: "Book cover". Would be
nice if it was as simple as modifying the size of a frame but this would
apply to a smaller (narrower) page in a 3-page document (in the order,
from left to right, back cover, spine, front cover). Then, if any of the
2 input values change, the spine automatically changes too. If there are
already some elements there, Scribus could tell the user that there was
a change that requires attention. The program could offer such option as
center automatically all elements in the new spine width (if it's
larger) or shrink them to fit the new width. As I see it, one could also
skip the 2 fields with a check box and enter a width value, depending
upon the info available. And automated behavior could also be skipped to
let users do just what they want.

BTW, the 3-fold option could be given those extra fields. And if we go
further, we could simply give all elements the possibility to be of
different width, taking then care of the issue with folding. Not all
panels of a pamphlet are necessarily equal.

How does that sound?

Louis

--
Louis Desjardins