[Scribus] Scribus on MacPorts compiles, runs and ... results in plenty of X errors

Martin Costabel costabel
Mon Nov 26 09:01:51 CET 2007

Thorsten Z?rner wrote:
[]
> Macintosh:~ thorsten$ scribus
>
> and get about 20 lines of
> QDateTime::fromString: Parameter out of range

I used to get these too, with scribus from Fink, on MacOSX 10.4. I don't
get them on Leopard any more. No idea where they come from; probably a
bug in qt3 that misinterprets non-US date strings, but harmless.

> while Scribus starts up, which is followed by hundreds of lines of
> X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
>   Major opcode:  67
>   Minor opcode:  0
>   Resource id:  0x2002d2

This sounds very much like a bug in Leopard's X11 (misunderstanding
between X server and client about whether bit depth is 24 or 32) that
can be fixed by replacing /usr/X11/bin/Xquartz with a newer one from
<http://www.x.org/wiki/XDarwin>, see also
<http://homepage.mac.com/sao1/X11/index.html> for some background.

Note that Ben Byer, who is distributing this "unofficial" fixed version
and running the XDarwin wiki, is also the Apple engineer responsible for
the X11 version that comes with Leopard.

--
Martin