[Scribus] install scribus on solaris 10

mrdocs at scribus.info mrdocs
Wed Nov 21 22:27:24 CET 2007

Wilfred Cuff wrote:
> I run GNOME on Solaris 10, installed on a Ultra 40 x86 workstation.
>
> Installed Scribus from Blastwave - I don't see a Solaris version on
> Scribus web page - and got the message:
>
> ld.so.1: scribus: fatal: libcrypto.so.0.9.8: open failed: No such file
> or directory
> Killed
>

> I do have a file like this on the system and thought that maybe a simple
> link would do the job
> libssl.so.0.9.8 -> /opt/csw/bin/libssl.so.0.9.8
>
> No help. Same message
>
> I then wondered: sincescribus installed in
> /opt/csw/kde-gcc/bin/scribus
>
> Does scribus need to run under kde?
>
> Any help would be appreciated!

Hi,

Without knowing the exact particulars of the Solaris build, it looks
like libcrypto is getting linked in owning to the way CUPS is compiled
on Solaris.

On Linux, some distros, notably Suse use openssl in their CUPS build, so
 I am guessing there might be a missing dependency in that package. I
would not hesitate to contact Ken who has been packaging Scribus on
Solaris for a while. He is helpful and quick to reply.

That said, Scribus unless modified by a third part has no requirement
for KDE. There is some enhanced functionality (themes, drag and drop)
when you run under KDE - but it has never been a requirement.

Hope that helps,

Peter