[Scribus] Applying Styles

avox avox
Fri Nov 16 18:00:33 CET 2007

jwminer wrote:

> The current discussion about applying styles seems an opportune time
> to bring up something that has always bothered me about Scribus. I
> don't like the "text" option in the Properties window.
>
> I think a DTP application should be based on frames and styles. If
> you want body text, make a body text style. If you want headings,
> make a heading style, a subhead style, whatever you need. If you
> want a hanging indent, make a style for it. DON'T select text and
> apply formatting that way. Styles permit easy global changes and
> consistency of text elements throughout a document.
>
> What's the point of having a text tab for a text box? Why not just
> apply a paragraph style? I think having a text tab encourages bad
> working habits, especially in new users who come from a word
> processor.

I agree that using named styles is the best practice. OTOH users would
get angry if Scribus forced them to define a new style each time they
want to change some formatting.

Also keep in mind that not all Scribus docs will be brochure or book like.
When creating a poster, the designer will work more with a WYSIWYG
approach and direct formatting would  be appropiate for that.

I hope that future work on StyleManager and the PropertiesPalette will
achieve a good compromise to support both approaches. And maybe we
should remove all direct formatting options from StoryEditor, since that
doesnt support WYSIWYG anyway.

/Andreas