[Scribus] Announce Scribus 1.3.4 - Open Source Page Layout

avox avox
Wed May 30 07:20:41 CEST 2007

John R. Culleton wrote:

> On Tuesday 29 May 2007 16:34, Plinnell wrote:
>

>> * The new text layout engine has a multitude of enhancements for
>> vastly better more appealing justification, including the use of
>> optical margins and more sophisticated word spacing algorithms.
>>

> First congratulations to all those involved. Now I would like to pin
> down exactly what is meant by the above paragraph. As we all know
> both TeX and InDesign use a paragraph justification scheme, and
> Quark, MSWord Pagemaker etc. use line by line justification. Where
> does the latest Scribus fall in these groupings?  More like TeX and
> ID or more like Quark?

Currently more like Quark, but I dont know how Quark handles linebreaking
exactly.
With Scribus 1.3.4 you get the most striking difference to earlier versions
if you set minimal wordspacing to 50%-80%. My favourite settings are
50 / 100 / 98 / 102 for min/norm wordspacing and min/max glyph extension.

I was myself very surprised how much difference it makes if the algorithm
not only considers enlarging word spacing but also has an option to shrink
wordspacing.

>From what I've heard Optical Margins in Scribus are better than in ID.

/Andreas