[Scribus] Scribus for Windows

Clare Kitson clare
Mon May 7 14:33:09 CEST 2007

I wonder if someone can advise me.

I'm a total beginner with DTP, and I was hoping to download Scribus in the hope of, eventually, publishing a book.

But, although Wikipedia lists books among Scribus's uses, the Scribus website doesn't.  What would be the problems if I did try to use it for a book?

And, secondly, is the version for Windows actually usable?  In the notes I found for 'Before Downloading' I noticed the paragraph:

This is beta software which is undergoing many code changes daily.  While it is fairly stable and usable, caution is advised.  It is not recommended yet for production use.  The underlying file format is undergoing rapid changes and will not be finished until the 1.3.4 or 1.3.5 version is released.

Does anyone know when that will be?  Is it worth my downloading it or should I forget it?

Many thanks.

Clare