[Scribus] Printing from within Adobe Reader

Nigel Ridley nigel
Wed May 2 18:50:25 CEST 2007

John R. Culleton wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 May 2007 12:01, Nigel Ridley wrote:
>> I am trying to print a 3 panel brochure that I created from within
>> Adobe Reader (v.7) but am confused a little by the print options.
>> I select A4 from the properties option; then Document from the
>> otion directly beneath the properties one; check the Landscape
>> 'Orientation' then I notice that the paper size (in the preview) is
>> 297 x 209.9 - so I select 'Choose paper source by PDF page size'
>> and now the preview shows 297 x 210 (which is what I want) but it
>> prints in 'Portrait' mode - even when I choose 'Landscape' :-(
>>
>> If I don't select 'Choose paper source by PDF page size' and print
>> in Landscape mode it print OK but with a very thin but noticeable
>> white border at the top (which is the 209.9 instead of the 210 that
>> I want).
>>
>> What do I have to 'select' to print it in Landscape at 297 x 210 ?
>>
>> (This is on an up-to-date feisty install with the document made
>> using Scribus 1.3.3.8 - on my other 'edgy' box)
>>
>> Blessings,
>>
>> Nigel
>
> You don't state what OS or what printer. My guess is that your printer
> requires a non printing gripper edge. I would try this solution:
>
> 1. Set up the document to be slightly smaller than A4 by about 9pt all
> around. (I use 1/8 inch which is 9pt.)
> 2. Set up "bleed" space on one or all sides of that amount.
> 3. Design the document to fit between the slightly smaller margins.
> 4. Whether or not you still get the white edge, trim the paper on the
> side(s) giving you an unwanted margin.
>
> You can play with this by giving bleed on only one side etc.
>
> Bottom line most printers won't print to the absolute edge of the
> paper.  There are some photo printers which give you no margins but
> that is probably not what you are using.

I'm using Kubuntu Feisty Fawn (Linux) and an Epson Sylus CX3700

I don't really want to have to trim the edges of the paper afterwards - so I will
'experiment' some more with the different settings in the Adobe Reader print dialogue.

Blessings,

Nigel

--
OliveRoot Ministries