[Scribus] Dot intensity in laser printing

william f. maddock billsey
Wed May 2 13:37:58 CEST 2007

On May 2, 2007, at 1:10 AM, ols6000 at sbcglobal.net wrote:

> At 07:15 PM 5/1/2007, you wrote:
>> That is physically impossible. In a laser printer a dot is either on
>> or off, you cannot vary the intensity.
>
> It is conceivable to me that dots of different sizes could be
> printed. My recollection is that that is what HP does, but I don't
> have the manual handy. Since a printed dot is not the same as a
> particle of toner, there could be lots of ways of changing the number
> of toner particles in a dot, hence its intensity.
>
> There is no reason in principle why the same trick could not be done
> with color, though, again, I don't know if anyone does it.

Refocusing the laser beam does not vary the intensity of the dot, only
its size. The dot is either there or it is not there. There is no in
between intensity. A laser printer works by magnetizing the image drum,
then rolling that drum through a vat of toner, causing the toner to
stick to the magnetized portions of the drum. The paper is then brought
over the drum, moving the toner off of the drum to the paper, which
then goes through a baking process to melt the toner into the paper.
Color lasers do this one color at a time. there is no mixing of colors
within a dot.
http://www.lulu.com/billsey