[Scribus] Background of Chars

avox avox
Tue Mar 27 15:05:01 CEST 2007

Helge Hielscher-2 wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a text frame with gray background and an enumeration like this:
> "? first item ? second item ? third item ? fourth something"
> The problem is that the numbers are hardly readable even in bold.
> Therefore I would like to have the numbers (U+2776 et.seqq.) white.
>
> All I could come up with is:
> 1. set the backround of the textframe to none
> 2. insert a new gray background polygon
> 3. draw white polygon circles and put them behind the numbers
> 4. adjust the position of the white cirles with every text change
>
> Is there a more efficient way to achieve the same?

I dont think so.  You could try to use a solid black circle-char, change its
textcolor to white and then try to overlay it with the wanted circlenumber
with negative tracking, but that's not much better.

Or you could design little imageframes for the circles and paste them as
inline frames, but inline frames aren't that robust atm.

Another idea would be to adjust the background to a lighter gray, or use a
gradient which has a lighter gray at  the center.

> Would this be worth a
> RFE?

Unfortuneately there's no information in a font about the "holes" of glyphs,
so IMHO it's impossible to find a general solution. The trick "white circle
overlayed with circlenumber" and "use inline imageframe" should work, so you
can file any bugs you find with that.

HTH

/Andreas