[Scribus] Google Summer of Code 2007

Steve Herrick estebandido
Fri Mar 16 00:12:53 CET 2007

On 3/15/07, avox <avox at arcor.de> wrote:

> That might well happen in a future ( 1.3.6+ ) version of Scribus. Of course
> some things will make round-trip editing impossible:
> a) different fontface models
> b) different color models
> c) more elaborate layout options in Scribus

Right. I had a draft response to Timo, but this is much more succinct.
In essence, I don't see the workflow being iterative between Scribus
and the web, or whatever the collaborative environment is.  It's
iterative for a while... and then it goes to Scribus to be laid out.
In essence, that would define away workflow issues.

> That might be possible once Scribus uses XML+restricted CSS for storing text

I had no idea this was actually in the works. I've been mulling it
over, and even brought it up when Scribus was around version 0.9 --
why not make heavy use of CSS? It's predefined, and easily
convertible, because it separates content and design... or not, if you
need to use inline CSS. It's not at the level of Scribus yet, but it
does more than you might expect: kerning, page breaks, widows and
orphans, drop caps, page sizes, and more. CSS3 will do columns,
automated page counters, line breaks, word breaks, drop shadows,
downloadable fonts, page orientation, left vs. right page...

--
Steve Herrick

Que si las manos son nuestras
Es nuestro lo que nos den