[Scribus] Fw: Fw: barcode

Owen rcook
Tue Mar 6 12:21:42 CET 2007

At Tuesday, 6 March 2007, you wrote:

>I can create a 13 digits ISBN barcode, but the last number on the top
>is different from the last number down.
>Looking a new italian book, I have seen the 2 ISBN are the same. So, I
>can't create the same 13 digits ISBN code for both position...

Yes, that last digit is a check digit

<quote>

Today, when a barcode is applied to a book, the 10-digit ISBN has
to become compatible with the 13-digit EAN international product
numbering system. This is done by encoding the ISBN into the ?Bookland
EAN? number. The EAN number is the 13 digit, unhyphenated number
found on the bar code text block in addition to the ISBN. The bars
actually refer to the EAN number. The check digit of the ISBN-10
is dropped (the last digit), the remaining 9 digits are prefixed
with '978', and a new check digit is calculated. This becomes the
EAN number.

</quote>

Owen

Telecom