[Scribus] Wordprocessor -> Scribus - but somewhat difficult

avox avox
Tue Jun 26 21:47:11 CEST 2007

Thomas Zastrow-4 wrote:

> It is the lack of totally control over the layout: TeX places images
> *somewhere* where it thinks they fit, but I have not realy a chance to
> says that they have to appear exactly here or there.

Well, you *can* if you use some plain TeX commands, or image environments,
but you wouldnt want to. LaTeX brings its own layouts, as long as you go
along
you are fine.

>>> BTW, many Scribus users and
>>> certainly the developers and contributors know TeX very well ;)
>>>

> I have to use LateX/TeX every day in the university ... and I hate it
> ... ;-)
>

>> Yes, I was only questioning the wiki article.
>>

> TeX isn't a DTP app - because the lack of control. TeX isn't a
> wordprocessor - because of missing WYSIWYG, missing Editor and so on and
> so on and so on. TeX is a typesetting engine, not more and not less.

I dont think you need wysiwyg for a word processor; so I'd count
TeX to the wordprocessing side (of course it's much better in doing that
than, say, Word)

> Feel free to add a section about typesetting engines to the wiki -
> beside TeX, I would also suggest XSL FO ....

Well, editing XSL-FO must be even more painful than editing *.sla
file in a normal text editor...

/Andreas