[Scribus] PDF version of psutils?

Corné Verbruggen caverbruggen
Sun Jun 10 11:57:52 CEST 2007

On 6/10/07, Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> wrote:

> Corn? Verbruggen wrote:
> > On 1/10/07, *Clayborne Arevalo* <clayborne.arevalo at gmail.com
> > <mailto:clayborne.arevalo at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     On 1/10/07, Philipp Klaus Krause <pkk at spth.de
> >     <mailto:pkk at spth.de>> wrote:
> >     > Clayborne Arevalo wrote:
> >     > > I'm looking for a pdf manipulation tool that runs on Unix or
> >     GnuOS and
> >     > > does what psutils does. In particular I'm looking for the
> >     abilities to
> >     > > select (psselect), sort in signature order (psbook) and impose
> the
> >     > > pages on a large sheet of paper (psnup). Is there such a
> program?
> >     > >
> >     > > Preferably the program should be command-line or have
> >     command-line
> >     > > capabilities (so it can be scripted). I've looked into pdftk
> >     and it
> >     > > seems to be missing the key ability to impose multiple pages on
> >     > > single sheet.
> >     >
> >     > pdfjam? It contains pdfnup. How about pdftk + pdfjam?
> >
> >     pdfjam appears to be incapable of handling  large-sized paper
> >     (e.g. a3).  Is there some magic option I need to pass to pdfjam
> >     or my LaTeX installation?
> >
> > Hi Clayborne,
> >
> > I was wondering wether you ever found a solution to this while I'm
> > currently trying to get 3 custom-sized pages onto 1 a3 sized paper using
> > pdfnup. It does not work.
> A workaround with Scribus could be to use pdftk to break (burst) the PDF
> into single-page PDFs, then import the single page PDFs into Scribus
> image frames. A modification of:
>
> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Automatic_import_of_images:_Versions_not_requiring_Tkinter
> could do this in a scripted way.
>
> Greg

Thanks for advice. But if i understand it correctly, you end up with raster
images (with limited resolution) instead of the original vectorized
(scalable) pdf's.

In the meantime I found pdfnup (part of pdfjam,
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/statistics/staff/academic/firth/software/pdfjam/).
It is capable of doing nup (e.g. 2x1) with pdf's. It works very well. Only
problem: it works only with papersizes that are defined as oficial LaTeX
options. This is quite limited (only letterpaper, a4paper, a5paper, b5paper,
executivepaper and legalpaper).

But this can be solved by using the LaTeX geometry package. I hacked the
pdfnup script (add 2 lines of code, delete 1) to include this package and
now i can specify other paper sizes also. It's really very useful. Haven't
tested thoroughly yet, but at a first glance it seems to do what i want.

I only wondered whether things like color profiles are also included in the
nup-ed resulting pdf. Will have to check that.

I have no experience with Scribus scripts, but I might investigate whether
it makes sense to create a script that uses pdfnup?

Corn?