[Scribus] 1.3.4 on the homepage

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Fri Jun 8 04:06:40 CEST 2007

Plinnell wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 June 2007, Gregory Pittman wrote:
>
>> mamem at gmx.net wrote:
>>
>>> I think there is really a very big misunderstandig about the
>>> "status" of this 1.3.4 release. It should have been marked cvs or
>>> beta since the beginnig...
>>> It seems to be non stable, for non-production and developpment.
>>>
>>> This is what I understand in the answers on this list, and that
>>> the 1.3.3.9 and next 1.3.3.10 is the "stable" production
>>> branch...
>>>
>>> am I right?
>>>
>> Use 1.3.4 only if you're willing to live dangerously.
>>
>> Greg
>>

> Hi,
>
> Well, I was the one who did not put the 1.3.4 download link on the
> front page of www for a reason. I did not want new visitors to think
> that 1.3.4 was the default or stable release.
>
> That said, while 1.3.4 *is* a development release, it is very much
> usable and worth testing.
>
> Not everything works 100%, but the wide testing it has had already and
> bug reports are very useful. Exactly what a development release is
> about.

I agree fully with what you're saying -- there's plenty of us more than
willing to live dangerously with Scribus. You have to be willing to put
a lot of work into something that ends up with problems. I think the
challenge is to try to sufficiently warn new users to not judge Scribus
as a whole by this developmental release.

Greg