[Scribus] sk1 - coreldraw of linux with cmyk prepress/printing cababilities.

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins
Wed Jun 6 14:57:54 CEST 2007

2007/6/6, Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com>:

> John R. Culleton wrote:
> > I am having some fun doing a cover for an e-book using various tools.
> > Thus far I have two TeX versions (quite different), a Gimp version
> > and an Inkscape version.  I'll work on a Scribus version next.   See:
> > http://typebye.com/test2.html
> >
> > Which cover does the list prefer? I'll try to duplicate it in Scribus.
> >
> Actually, I'd have to say none of them. The only that's not visually
> distracting and disturbing is #1, but it seems bland and uninteresting.
> At least with #1 you don't struggle to read the title, author and other
> information. If you were going to try to make 2-4 work, the images need
> to be de-emphasized (various ways to do this) so they're not the
> dominant visual feature of the cover.

Following on Greg's comment, I am encline to say that the covers would
benefit lots if the pic was simply reduced and made an element not touching
type at all.

#1 Looks like a cover and is, in a way, intriguing. Interesting, but not
more than that.
#2 Is too "busy" ... and very "first level" with this bookshelve... :(
#3-4 Are showing a pic we have seen so many times... Plus, it refers to the
early days of printing... The thing to say here from the layout point of
view is that the title and the pic are struggling together instead of being
in harmony and supporting one another. Especially when some letters fall
into the face of the pressman... The pic *and* the type are both difficult
to "read".

I hope this is not too deceiving as a comment... I wish it'll be understood
as "constructive" !

BTW, I'd be glad to read this tutorial!

Louis

Greg