[Scribus] Exporting a pdf to import into scribus: icc colour pofiles

Conal conal
Wed Jul 18 11:32:57 CEST 2007

Am Mittwoch, 11. Juli 2007 12:13 schrieb Conal:
> Hi
>
> Working on the August edition of G41 Newspaper here in Glasgow. We have
> just started creating the adverts to go in the paper as PDF files instead
> of JPEGs. We do this with Scribus. We then import these PDF files into
> Scribus as we are putting together the paper

>Should I PDF the individual adverts with the "use icc profile" boxes
marked, or
> will this confuse the final PDF'ing process?

>Hi Conal,

>the icc profiles shouldn't work at all with placed PDFs (this is fixed in
>1.3.3.10svn), so the answer is no.

>May I ask why you skipped JPEG in favour of PDF? Why don't you use TIFF
>instead (there's a chapter about image formats in the docs)?

>HTH

>Christoph

Why PDFs? I recently discovered that importing the adverts as pdf's using
File>Import>Import EPS/PS seemed to add them as vector graphics with
vectorised fonts, rather than bitmaps, so the print quality is much sharper.
However I made a big mistake this time: I thought importing PDF's into image
frames would also place them with vector data. The paper is back from the
printers now and I see that this is not the case, the adverts are obviously
bitmaps.

Next time I will import the PDF'd adverts using File>Import>Import EPS/PS,
then import the relevant photo's for the adverts separately. Or maybe I
should just create the averts hi-res tiffs using Gimp?

Conal