[Scribus] Cinepaint and CMYK

John R. Culleton john
Sun Jul 15 22:57:55 CEST 2007

On Friday 13 July 2007 17:39, Craig Ringer wrote:
> John R. Culleton wrote:
> > I am contemplating using Cinepaint instead of Gimp because of the
> > availabilty of cmyk.  In fact I am part way through the install
> > process (that ol debbil missing prerequisites blew up
> > ./configure.)

> So ... do you really need to hand-convert all your images to CMYK?
>
> --
> Craig Ringer

I would prefer to just work in the CMYK color model, using appropriate
profiles for both monitor and the output file. Almost all of what I
work on is intended for print, and it needs to be either cmyk or
grayscale.

Of course something like ImageMagick can do a conversion after the
fact but that leaves me with no control of the out of gamut colors.

Anoother question: Can I work in some recent version of Scribus,
import graphics in png format created or edited in Gimp, and expect
the Scribus output to be in cmyk model?  I just don't trust the highly
automated prepress of printers like LSI to do the coversion in a safe
manner.

I have a Sony G520 monitor so in theory at least I can calibrate it
correctly for display of cmyk images.

--
John Culleton
ATTN Publishers/authors: