[Scribus] Color swatches - Legal and technical issues

Louis Desjardins louis_desjardins
Wed Jan 31 19:04:32 CET 2007

Gregory Pittman a ?crit :
> Branko Vukelic wrote:
>
>>Joining this debate on color a bit late.
>>
>>I think, too, that an open alternative to any proprietary color system
>>would be beneficial. First of all, it would be possible to describe
>>colors in a consistent and standard way, and every major (or minor,
>>for that matter) software vendor would be free to implement it.
>>Secondly, anyone who knows how to measure color would be able to
>>invent *proprietary* formulas, make profit off it and still use the
>>open color system as a reference. There could be, for instance, 3, or
>>4, or 100 different formulas for color OpenMatch ABC123 and from
>>different vendors. Suddenly the printers would no longer have to rely
>>upon one producer for their supplies.
>>

> I wonder if this is something that could find a way to come up at the
> LGM2 in Montreal? Seems like the perfect venue for the concept.

Agree.

Anyone wishing to discuss LGM content can also join #lgm on IRC on
freenode.net

Or still use this fabulous mailing list!

I also want to have some more information on press inks and the
relationship with Pantone specifications.

We could file some info on the wiki (maybe already done, haven't checked).

BTW the majority of Pantone colors don't have a name. They go by
numbers. Only some greys and some special colors have names. Such as
Pantone Yellow, Pantone Rubine, Pantone Rhodamine, or else, Pantone
Purple, Violet, Reflex Blue. The rest is a long list of numbers.

Knowing that there are lots of ink makers in the printing industry, it
would be useful to have some of them show up here and say what they know
about this issue. I will try to get some info but it might take some time.

Louis
LGM 2007 organiser